Registering to Vote

Eligibility to Vote

You are eligible to vote in Minnesota if you are:

  • At least 18 years or older
  • A citizen of the United States
  • A resident of Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding the election day

New Registrants

To register to vote, you must fill out a voter registration application (PDF). When filling out the application, you must sign and date the oath printed at the bottom. By signing the application, you are swearing that you are eligible to register to vote. The application can be submitted at any time except during the 20 days immediately preceding any election. It is highly advisable to register a minimum of 30 days before the election.

Any voter who sends in a Voter Registration Application which is received after the pre-registration cutoff dates will be sent a Notice of Ineffective / Late Registration letter. The Notice of Ineffective / Late Registration letter can be used as proof of residency when registering to vote on Election Day at the polling location.

To see if you are registered to vote, view the Voter Registration Lookup.

Additional Registry Information

Voter registration applications (PDF) are available at the South St. Paul City Offices and the Dakota County offices in Hastings, West St. Paul, or Apple Valley. A Voter Registration Application can be sent to you by:

  • Calling South St. Paul City Hall at 651-554-3204
  • Printing a Voter Registration Application on your personal computer printer and mailing it to the City of South St. Paul or Dakota County Offices

You can also register to vote when applying for or renewing your driver's license. The information will be forwarded to Dakota County for processing.

Change of Address

Any previously registered voter who changes his or her name or address must re-register to vote. A change of name or address requires a new registration and a new signature from the application. If you have moved since last registering to vote, it is important to update your voter registration information so that you can vote for the candidates who will represent you. Remember, if you move, you must vote in your new precinct. Do not return to your old precinct to vote.

Canceled Registrations

A voter registration is canceled for the following reasons:

  • The voter has been convicted of a felony and is incarcerated. 
  • The voter is under guardianship of another person.
  • The voter has been found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote.
  • The voter is not a citizen of the United States.
  • The voter has not voted for more than four years.

Postal Verification Card

Upon receiving a Voter Registration Application properly completed and submitted, the County Treasurer-Auditor will enter the information into the Statewide Voter Registration System. A postal verification card will be mailed to you verifying your name, residential address, precinct, polling location, and voting districts.

Election Day Registration Information

In Minnesota, you may register to vote on Election Day. You will need to bring one of the following proofs of residence to register at the polling place:

Option 1: Bring Identification with Current Name & Address

Accepted ID's:

  • Valid Minnesota driver's license, Minnesota learner's permit, Minnesota identification card, or a receipt for any of these, with your current address
  • Tribal identification card with your name, address, photo and signature

Option 2: Bring Photo Identification Plus a Document with Current Name & Address

The identification can be expired, and the document can also be shown electronically on a device (smartphone, etc.)

Accepted Photo Identifications (bring one form of identification and one document):

  • Driver's license, state identification card or learner's permit issued by any state
  • United States passport
  • United States Military identification card
  • Tribal identification card with the name, address, signature and photo of the voter
  • Minnesota university, college or technical college identification card
  • Minnesota high school identification card

Accepted documents (bring one document and one form of identification):

  • Bill, account or start of service statement, which includes your name and current address, due or dated within 30 days of election for:
    • Phone (landline, cell VOIP, etc.)
    • TV (cable, satellite, etc.)
    • Internet services
    • Solid waste or sewer services
    • Electric, gas or water
    • Banking or credit card
    • Rent or mortgage payments
  • Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
  • Current student fee statement

Other Options:

  • Registered voter from your precinct who will vouch for your residence
  • College student identification if you are on a student housing list on file at the polling place
  • Prior registration listed on roster at former address in the same precinct
  • Notice of Late Registration postcard
  • Staff person of a residential facility if they are on a residential facility list on file at the polling place or can demonstrate employment at the facility

Court Order

1. For purposes of Minn. Stat. Sec. 201.061, subd.3, tribal identification cards that contain the name, address, signature and picture of the tribal member will have the same status as a Minnesota driver license. Therefore, such tribal identification cards are sufficient proof of identity and residency and may be used without any other documentation to register to vote on election day in the precinct in which the address on the tribal identification card is located, without regard to whether the tribal members live on or off their tribal reservations.

2. For purposes of Minn. Rule Part 8100.5100, photographic tribal identification cards that do not contain any address or a current address can be used to meet the standards of subpart 2(A). Therefore, a tribal member can use such tribal identification card together with a current utility bill to register to vote on Election Day in the precinct in which the address on the utility bill is located.

College Students

The above proofs of residency also apply for college students as well as:

  • A current valid student identification card from a post-secondary educational institution in Minnesota, if a list of students from that institution has been prepared and certified to the county treasurer-auditor in the manner provided in rules of the secretary of state.
  • A current student fee statement that contains the student’s valid address in the precinct together with a picture identification card.

Receiving Assistance at the Polling Location

If you need help with voting, you can ask the Election Judges at the polling place for assistance in reading or marking your ballot. You may also bring someone to help assist you. All polling places should be fully accessible with clearly marked accessible doors and parking spaces.

If you can't easily leave your car, you can ask for the ballot to be brought out to you in your car. If you are unable to go to the polling place due to an illness or disability, you can vote by absentee ballot. If you have limited vision, you may ask for voter registration and absentee ballot instructions in an alternative format.